One of the objectives of Steel Awards is to spread the news far and wide about the great work our industry produces. For the first time ever, thanks to the support of our Photo Competition sponsors CADEX Systems SA – we’ve taken the bold step of engaging with new markets through Instagram. Where previously the photo competition was judged by a panel of 5 – 8 people, Instagram allows for reaching a much wider audience.
This year, photo competition entries made their way into the social feeds of over 1700 people! All of this year’s Steel Awards nominated projects were shared via the @steelawards Instagram account and the most liked images received between 50 and 70 likes! The finalists and winning photos were determined by the number of likes received – which was a clear indication of the visual appeal of the image to a global audience.
For those of you who are perhaps not that familiar with the Instagram platform, here are a few quick facts:
– Instagram is a photo and short video sharing social app for your smartphone
– Images and photos often have hashtags (e.g – #SteelAwards2018, #SteelConstruction, #Steel or #StructuralEngineering ) to make it easier for users to search for content they are interested in
– Over 3.8 Million South Africans are on Instagram
– It provides real-time opportunities for sharing project and business progress. People love to see well composed and interesting photographs that tell a story! It’s a great way to showcase your work and let clients (current and potential) see what you are capable of as a business.
As a very visual platform, Instagram is a firm favourite with Photographers and Architects. The SAISC is very excited about the opportunities Instagram presents and will be running some more training courses in 2019 to assist our members to utilise the platform. Don’t forget to follow @saisc_steel and of course @steelawards on Instagram if you haven’t already done so.
About the Photo competition sponsor: Cadex Systems SA
Cadex Systems SA supplies and fully support Tekla Structures, the leading 3D Building Information Modelling tool for structures. Our ambition is to multiply users’ potential to think and achieve big. We want to improve our customers’ businesses.
We put models at the core of construction processes. Tekla Structures is the innovative 3D BIM solution that facilitates accurate design, detailing and management of intelligent structural and building models of any size or complexity with ease and precision. The tools cover all materials and the entire structural design process. Tekla’s intelligent models integrate the entire structural project workflow from sales and the initial bid, through detailing, fabrication and erection, to asset management.
It is the most advanced and integrated way to manage the shop-detailing, fabrication and erection of all steel structures. Tekla Structures is a model based system that reduces errors, increases productivity, and provides the highest levels of automation of fabrication and project management by interfacing with the MIS and CNC machinery.
Tekla Structures BIM software provides an accurate, detailed and data-rich 3D environment that can be shared by structural engineers, architects, concrete rebar detailers, steel detailers, project managers and clients. At every stage, the detailed models enable the highest level of constructability and production control.
The Software Maintenance Agreement benefits users by providing them with the support, upgrades, and fast, efficient help when required. Local first level technical support is provided by experienced professionals with years of industry experience, who assist all levels of users. Users on maintenance get access to the Tekla User Account. This includes online help, an experienced and helpful online user community, the Tekla Warehouse and access to the latest software releases.
Cadex SA, Tekla’s regional reseller, brings more than 60 years of experience in the Southern African steel construction industry to their clients.
Visit www.tekla.com for details about more configurations and tools.
Contact: John Swallow or John Duncan
Tel: +27 11 463 1857/ 3641
Fax: +27 11 463 9445
PO Box 411340, Craighall, 2024, South Africa
First Floor, Block D, Coachmans Crossing Office Park, 4 Brian Street, Lyme Park, 2191, Bryanston, Sandton
How do I create an Instagram account?
To create an Instagram account from the app:
- Download the Instagram app from the App Store(iOS) or Google Play Store (Android).O
- Once the app is installed, tap to open it.
- Tap Sign Up With Email or Phone Number, then enter your email address or phone number (which will require a confirmation code) and tap Next. You can also tap Log in with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you register with your email or phone number, create a username and password, fill out your profile info and then tap Done. If you register with Facebook, you’ll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you’re currently logged out.