Steel Awards is the highlight of the built environment calendar. For the past 38 years, the event has been renowned for showcasing excellence in the use of steel in construction, and 2022 is no different!
Join us as we celebrate the great work that Southern Architects, Engineers and Steelwork Contractors have done between 2020 and 2022. The final in person awards event will take place on 13 October 2022, at Emperors Palace in Gauteng as a red-carpet red carpet film premier / gala event (think Hollywood/ Cannes Film Festival). Keep an eye on this page for details!
If you’d like to meet our judges, understand the nomination process an find out what makes a great steel awards entry
click here to view the nominator briefing session – 7 October 2022 (Zoom Recording)
Access Passcode: TOGHax^7
If your project was completed in 2020 or 2021 – it’s eligible for nomination.
7 October 2021 – Nominations open
31 March 2022 – Nominations close
Because nomination and judging will take place concurrently, there will not be any extensions beyond this nomination closing deadline. Don’t leave nominating your project to the last minute!
- Complete the online nomination form (it literally takes 5 minutes to do – we’ve simplified the process)
- You will receive an email with a link to book your project team Zoom interview.
- Consult with your project team and book your Zoom interview
- Receive an invoice and pay your project nomination
(interviews will only take place when project nominations have been paid in full)
- Receive preparation instructions for your project team Zoom interview
- Participate in a 30 minute project team Zoom interview.to showcase your project
- Receive a follow up email with a request/ instruction for submitting supporting information
(Photographs, Video Content, Models etc)
- If you are a finalist, a site visit by representatives of the judging panel may be required.
- You may need to participate in a video interview or other filming necessary as part of the Steel Awards 2022
“Excellence in Steel” documentary
Value for nominators:
The nomination fee covers the judging process, and results in created content that can be used for marketing promotion, including:
- All nominated projects will have their moment in the spotlight during the in-person gala event in October 2022
- Winning projects, finalists and nominated projects will be showcased in a substantial luxury coffee table book, available for pre-order before the in person event, or ordering after the in person event
- A 30 Minute Project Case Study Interview, which is recorded and shared as a project case study on the SAISC Youtube page, SAISC/ Steel Awards website, and SAISC social media platforms
- An edited, transcribed version of the call, is posted as a written project case study on the SAISC/ Steel Awards Website
- In the lead up the the semi finals, a 1 minute project profile will be shared on the SAISC social media platforms for each project nominated
- Semi-finalists will be extensively promoted in traditional and digital media.
- Finalist and winners will be featured in an engaging broadcast quality documentary film production, to be showcased at the red carpet movie premier in person cocktail event.
Potential Award Categories
The categories below facilitate a smoother judging process, and do not necessarily represent categories of awards or commendations for Steel Awards 2022. While you can select as many categories as you feel apply, projects will be judged in a maximum of two categories. Final decisions on award types, commendations and/ or categories will be made by the judging panel and the SAISC support team.
Architecturally exposed steel
Commercial (Shopping Centre / Mixed Use Development)
Factory and Warehouse
Infrastructure (Power/ Electricity/ Renewables)
Infrastructure (Schools / Hospitals)
Innovation and Sustainability
Light Steel Frame Building
Light Steel Frame Façade
Light Steel Frame Roofing
If you still have questions (or if you’re a member and you want to give constructive input regarding Steel Awards), schedule a quick telephonic or virtual meeting with Denise Sherman.